Friday 29 October 2010

Content Page Collage

This is my my music magazine content page collage, I have chosen a range of content pages from various music magazines. I did this so that I have a better understanding into specific features of each individual contents page. This research will help me when I start to plan features for my own music magazine contents page and when designing. This includes aspects such as the text, the layout, type of images I use, the amount of images I include and the colour scheme.

From looking at these images that I have collected, I have learnt about the use of colour in this type of page. I found that out of these twelve music magazine contents pages, seven of them have included red in their colour schemes. I can also see that eleven out of twelve of them have used white as a main colour, and eleven out of the twelve have included black The reason why I think these colours in particular are used more frequently than others, like green or blue, is because they are bold and eye-catching, making the page more interesting in appearance. They also tend to stick to only a few main colours, this makes the page less confusing and easier to digest- making it quick to find information that the reader would need i.e a page number for an article.
Another observation that I have made from these content pages is the amount of images that they use. I found that seven used 1-4 images, four used 5-9 images and one used ten or more images. This tells me that the most common number of images used for this page is from one to four. I will take this into account when designing my contents page and will not use more than four images.
The next feature I looked into was how many of the magazines had put their name or their logo on this page. All twelve of the selected magazines above have included their brand identities on this page. This could be
an advertising technique where the consumer is constantly reminded of the product, so next time they go to purchase a magazine they will be more attracted to it. This research is useful for me because when I create my contents page, I have decided that I will add the name of my magazine to the page also.
Another factor I have noticed from these content pages is that ten out of the twelve use layering of some form. This makes the layout look more linked together and less formal. It also gives the images and text depth- giving a more interesting appearance. I will use layering when I create my contents page for a similar effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment